Our Story

Our History

Trinity United Methodist Church was planted through the ministry of William “Billy” Cravens, an enthusiastic Methodist Lay Preacher. Billy was a stonemason by trade who came to Lexington in 1793. The present location on Main Street was acquired in 1889, on October 8, 1894, the church was dedicated by Bishop W. W. Duncan. The Reverend Forest J. Prettyman was the pastor at the time, and the congregation numbered about 300.

The growth of the congregation and the attendance of Virginia Military Institute cadets and Washington and Lee University students made a larger building imperative after only 35 years. Accordingly, the present structure (costing approximately $120,000) was built during the pastorate of the Reverend T. M. Swann in 1926. The debt on this building proved a grievous burden during the depression years, but it was finally liquidated during the pastorate of Dr. Benjamin T. Candler. The church was dedicated by Bishop W. W. Peele on March 23, 1947. The sanctuary was renovated for that occasion. A new organ, replacing the one moved from the earlier building, was installed in 1949. Extensive remodeling of the education facilities was undertaken in 1957.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 10 a.m.